Saturday, March 3, 2012

If you judge a fish...

"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to ride a bike, it will live it's live feeling like a failure." - Albert Einstein

Sometimes it is really hard for me to accept that I can not control things and look at things in a truthful and thankful way. It is easy to want my life away...to be jealous of what others are and have...to think that happiness and peace come from anywhere but inside of us.

Often times (and part of what got me into my hole) was thinking that I could control things and once I controlled them all it would result in happiness and that I would be happy. I would somehow magically find peace, and have certain things, make more money, and I would look a certain way...and things would be perfect. The sad thing is that the "end result" that was in my mind was NOTHING like the person I am now or the wonderful life that I have now.

Today I am feeling pensive and feeling truly thankful for all of the things that I have right now (without controlling them). I have a beautiful house, all be it a messy one. I don't have stress in my job. I have a sweet husband who loves me. I have a beautiful child, an angel, a true reflection of God. I have a strong healthy body, all be it a short one, with cellulite & love handles. The messy house means that it is lived in, I am learning that. Those things about my body that I cannot change (without unhealthy measures) are that way for a reason. I am beautiful just the way I am, my life is amazing just the way it is. Once I let go of control/someday thinking I am able to experience it. Happiness and peace are in my imperfect life now, I just have to acknowledge them, and let God show them to me. I am letting go and just being thankful for his gifts.

I am learning to love that I am a fish, and that my purpose in life may not be to ride a bike. If I spend my whole life crying over the fact that I cannot ride a bike I will never know that I have the natural ability to swim beautifully.

Realize your purpose and embrace it. It may not be the purpose that you "want" or are convinced will make you happy but you have one, trust me. Once you embrace it, that is when the magic, and happiness and peace will happen!

2 comments:

  1. jessica, wow this is good. so thankful you shared! amen!
    i appreciate you and your encouragement xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was simply beautiful and amazing. I'm learning to be a fish, too. XO

    ReplyDelete